Did you know I'm a Virtual Assistant? (click here for more information)
I offer the following services:
- Marketing Support
- Client Care
- Website Care
- Social Media Management
- and more
About This Site
A lot of the content on this site used to be on other sites. Here's a brief blurb about each site that has been consolidated into this one, for your reference:
For these posts, go to:
Sci-Fi Made Real
Science Fiction made real! Every day, I read another article about some amazing breakthrough, and yet I often feel as though I’ve heard about this somewhere before…
That’s because Science Fiction really has a knack for predicting the future. Books, TV and movies – they’ve all done it. Sometimes they get it really, really wrong, but sometimes…. they get it right.
We are lucky enough to be alive while these incredible discoveries and inventions are being made. I find it fascinating, so this is my chronicle of watching science fiction become reality, as well as other geeky-girl stuff I find interesting!
For these posts, go to:
For a while, I had a Paranormal Romance Book Review site called Digigirl’s Library. This section holds the remains of that site, which includes reviews by me as well as some guest reviewers.
Other reviewers no longer participate, but I occasionally add new reviews myself (I still read A LOT!), and no longer restrict the genre to romance (though it is what I most often read).
I think the easiest way to sum me up is with the word “eclectic.” Or maybe “scattered” would be more accurate.
Whatever, I am
obsessed with interested in a lot of different things. I used to have different websites for things but gave that up and combined most of them into one – this one.
This is the place where I get to just be me, however illogical or weird that may be, and also where I get to play. Expect to see things change around here quite often – colors, icons, layouts, etc. – as I try out new plugins, themes, and graphic elements.
This site is about the overall me. All of the parts put together (well, okay. Maybe just most of the parts). Expect to see new topics crop up as I become
obsessed with interested in something new.
- Born, raised, married, divorced and lived in California for 37 years, then moved to Texas in 2004 to be with the boyfriend I met on the Internet (yes, we’re still together - and married!).
- Love to cook, bake, surf the Internet, play with my cats, read, write, play with WordPress / computer, and whatever's next (TBD).
- I’ve been called “weird” and “different” and “eccentric” but I’m far from the weirdest person I know.
25 Things About Me
This is a game that went around Facebook a while back that unearthed a lot of fun little details, so I’ve updated that and pasted it here. Enjoy!
- I can play the first half of The Entertainer on the piano as long as I don’t think about it. If I think about it, I can’t play any (or at least, I could the last time I tried, which has been years ago).
- I will never understand how anybody could find me intimidating, but I have been told several times that I am.
- Some days, I feel ancient. Most of the time, I barely feel adult. I still haven’t decided what I want to be when I grow up. Well, that’s a lie. What I really want is to be independently wealthy.
- I am a native Californian, born and bred. I lived there until I was 37, when I moved to the Houston area to be with a man I met on the Internet. Now working on getting back there as soon as possible.
- The things I really miss about California are my friends and the sushi.
- I never learned to cook until I moved to Texas. Now I cook all the time. Amazing how much your life can change.
- When I moved to Texas, I intended to continue playing SCA (medieval re-creation group), which dominated my life for over 17 years, but ended up not. I’ve only been to one event (in Texas) since I moved here. I miss it. But what I miss is Caid (aka Southern California), really. Ansteorra (aka Texas) just isn’t the same.
- I can correctly spell almost any word instantly, even if I’ve never seen it before. I only very occasionally miss one.
- I can type 115 words per minute.
- I currently have 7 pets – six cats (all rescues), and a dog. I used to also have 5 ferrets (and briefly, a mouse), but one by one, they passed away. I do love me some fuzzy animals! I had to live without my cat for a few years once. I will never do that again. Must have a fuzzy animal at all times.
- I have never experienced a desire to be a mother – literally never. I’m that weird freak woman with zero maternal instincts. So, what happened? I hooked up with a guy who had sole custody of his teenaged son – and he was a major handful (not just your typical teen). Not only did I have to learn to be a mom, I needed to be Mom Extraordinaire – but I definitely wasn’t. We did manage to get him raised up to adulthood without any too major crises, though. Whew.
- I read voraciously and very quickly. I always have a novel around and will usually finish one every day or two, unless I’m busy and don’t have time to read (thanks for the Kindle for Christmas, Bill! ).
- I am an atheist living in the Bible belt. Eek.
- I have a weird nervous habit – I type ALL the time. My fingers type out words I hear, see or think on whatever surface is handy. Most of the time I don’t even realize I’m doing it (my theory is that this is why I can type so fast – I’m practicing literally all the time!).
- I have never had a nickname that stuck. Everybody always goes back to Valerie.
- If I could afford it, I would attend culinary school just for the knowledge.
- My biggest goal in life right now is to get to the point where I can afford to have a cleaning service clean my house once a week.
- I lost 35 pounds in 2008 and then gained it all back. Sigh.
- I had hair down to my butt for about 20 years. I finally cut it to just below my shoulders in 2008. Welcome to the 21st century. Update 2017: Hair is back down to the middle of my back. Expect to keep at this length permanently now, but I guess time will tell.
- I envy artistic people. I think I am smart, but lack any fun or artistic talents. All of my talents (spelling, typing) relate to business skills.
- I was raised in the desert. When I became adult and moved to Orange County, I swore I would never live in a really hot place again. Now I live in Houston (almost as hot as the desert, but a lot more humid). Ugh (the things we will do for a man!). I think the ideal place to live would be Seattle, WA area (or similar). Never too hot or too cold, and beautiful all year. Colorado is also looking really good these days.
- I have extremely vivid, technicolor, strange dreams every single night and usually remember all or most of them. Sometimes, I dream so energetically that I am exhausted when I wake up. In some of the dreams, I am myself, but in some of them I am both myself and someone else, sometimes I am a man, sometimes I am a child or an old person or an alien or an animal. But I have only once dreamed of flying – which is one of the most common dreams people have. I have had one clearly lucid dream where I was able to consciously control what was happening in the dream. I was being chased by a bad guy (you know, one of those dreams where you can’t run or scream no matter how hard you try). I got frustrated so I said to myself, “this is my dream – I’m changing it.” I visualized a table with a gun on it, picked up the gun, shot the bad guy and went on to have a nice, relaxing dream. Wish I could do that again.
- I speak very quickly – but live in the South. It’s a problem.
- I have high blood pressure and cholesterol. Heart disease runs in my family. I worry that I will die of a sudden stroke or heart attack without warning at any time – just like my mother. Update 2018: My father has now also passed away from stroke. Tick tock, Valerie. Tick tock.
- I had a VERY hard time coming up with 25 things to say about myself.